Connect with us

News

Ijaw, Urhobo on Boycott CVR, Insists No Elections-Related Matters in Warri Until New Ward Delineation Exercise is Complete as Declared by the Supreme Court

Published

on

By Divine Perezide

The Ijaw and Urhobo ethnic groups of Warri Federal Constituency have declared their boycott of the ongoing Continuous Voter Registration (CVR) exercise, demanding that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) must first implement the final report of the Supreme Court-ordered fresh delineation of electoral wards and units in the constituency.

The protesters who stormed the INEC headquarters in large numbers came from Warri North, Warri South and Warri South West Local Government Areas making up the Federal constituency.

The groups made their position known on Tuesday during a peaceful protest to the INEC headquarters in Abuja where they expressed deep worry over the INEC’s CVR in the area.

They Carried placards with inscriptions such as “Warri Federal Constituency: No Ward, No Units for CVR”, “CVR Today is Political Fraud in Warri Federal Constituency”  and “INEC, Give Us the Final Report.”

Spokesman of the groups, Chief David Reje from the Egbema Clan of Warri North Local Government Areas accused INEC of undermining the constitutional rights of the people by conducting the CVR with the “defunct arrangement” that the Supreme Court had earlier nullified.

Chief Reje, expressed their displeasure noting that despite INEC’s field exercise and stakeholder engagements, which produced a new delineation report in compliance with the apex court judgment, the commission has failed to release and implement the final report.

“Our patience and cooperation are being taken for granted as machinery has been set in place to disenfranchise us from participating in future elections.

“We can no longer wait while our democratic rights guaranteed by the Constitution and reaffirmed by the Supreme Court judgment are being eroded” Chief Reje warned.

The groups said they had travelled from Warri to Abuja to draw INEC’s attention to their plight, warning that they might be compelled to occupy the commission’s premises until their demands were met.

“They described the move as the second phase of their “non-violent struggle to restore political dignity.”

They further noted that they had come under “consistent pressure” from their people and could not guarantee that the agitation would remain contained if INEC continued to ignore the court order.

They demanded that ; INEC must immediately release and implement the delineation report and the CVR should only proceed on the basis of the newly approved electoral arrangements.

“We shall not stand idly by and watch our democratic rights and franchise frittered away. A stitch in time saves nine.” he maintained.

INEC National Commissioner, Abdullahi Abdulzuru, in his response assured the Ijaw and Urhobo groups of Warri Federal Constituency that their concerns over the implementation of the Supreme Court-ordered delineation of electoral wards and units will be addressed.

He commended the groups for adopting a peaceful approach in presenting their grievances and acknowledged receipt of their formal petition.

“I have listened carefully to your demands and read through your submission. I will tender the documents to the commission,” Abdulzuru said.

He further stressed that INEC is a law-abiding institution with no intention of disenfranchising any group of Nigerians.

“As a commission, we are committed to upholding the law. There is no intention, as far as INEC is concerned, to disenfranchise anybody from any exercise. We will get back to you be rest assured,” he added.

Prominent figures who signed the document tendered by the protesters include Dr Joel Bisina, Olorogun Victor Okumagba, Chief Godspower Gbenekama, Chief John Eramvor, Dr Paul Bebenimibo, Chief Sylvester Femi Okumagba, Chief Arthur Akpodubakaye, Chief Wilson Ogbodu, Chief Emmanuel Serondi and Chief Mrs Ann Gagiyovwi (JP)

Others include Rev. Samuel Ako, Amb.Jude Ebitimi Ukori (JP), Hon. Frank Pukon, Chief Mrs Vero Emmanuel Tangbewei and Comrade Mrs Margaret Ikinbor

News

HIGH CHIEF SUNNY GBEGHA JP CELEBRATES DAUGHTER’S ACADEMIC MILESTONES

Published

on

HIGH CHIEF SUNNY GBEGHA JP CELEBRATES DAUGHTER’S ACADEMIC MILESTONES

By: Daire Perez

Okija, Anambra State – Father and community leader, High Chief Sunny Gbegha JP, the Egbakarewei of Iduwini Kingdom, Delta State, has expressed immense joy and gratitude to God as his daughter, Miss Gbegha Tamarauikiye Favour, successfully completed notable academic milestones at Madonna University, Okija.

Miss Favour graduated with a Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) Degree in Banking and Finance, earning an impressive Second-Class Upper (2.1) classification. Going a step further in her academic pursuit, she has also obtained a Master of Science (M.Sc.) Degree in Banking and Finance from the same institution.

This has received warm reactions from family and friends with many congratulating the young lad. I a message filled with joy, High Chief Gbegha described his daughter’s achievements as a testament to hard work, discipline, and divine grace. He noted that her academic excellence brings honour not only to their family but also to the wider community.

Community members, friends, and well-wishers have continued to congratulate Miss Favour for her outstanding accomplishments, celebrating her as an inspiration to young scholars across the region.

IduwiniVoice joins in this congratulations to our shining young lady.

(c) IduwiniVoice

Continue Reading

News

ALUBEZE GREETS FORMER BOSS PONDI ON BIRTHDAY, EXTOL HIS LEADERSHIP AS HE EXPRESSES WARM WISHES

Published

on

By: Divine Perezide

Former leader of Burutu Legislative House, Rt. Hon. Joseph Alubeze, has expressed heartfelt birthday felicitations to the his former boss and leader, Rt. Hon. Julius Gbabozor Pondi, Member Representing Burutu Federal Constituency and the Chairman, House Committee on the South-South Development Commission.

In his congratulatory message, Alubeze described Pondi as an astute leader whose antecedent smarcks of nothing but people-oriented service and dedication that continue to inspire many within and beyond the Constituency.

“Happy Blessed Birthday to you, my Dear Leader, Rt. Hon. Julius Pondi – Member Representing Burutu Federal Constituency and Chairman, South-South Development Commission,” he started.

He prayed for renewed wisdom, strength, and greater achievement for the federal lawmaker as he marks a new year. “May this new year of yours be filled with wisdom, strength, and greater accomplishments as you continue to serve with dedication and grace,” he added.

Hon. Alubeze, a former leader of Burutu House wished his principal Pondi, whose was his predecessor, many more fruitful years in good health, acknowledging his commitment to the advancement of the South-South region and the nation at large, closing his message with a heartfelt best wishes to the celebrant on his special day.

Continue Reading

News

Good News: Presidential Amnesty Office Commences Second Phase of Laptop Distribution to Scholarship Delegates

Published

on

By: Divine Perezide
Abuja – The Otuaro-led Presidential Amnesty Office, popularly known as PAP, has commenced the second phase of laptop distribution to its scholarship beneficiaries across Nigerian Universities for the 2024/2025 academic year.

According to a statement signed by Mr. Igoniko Oduma, Special Assistant on Media to the Administrator of the Presidential Amnesty Programme, the initiative is part of efforts to enhance learning and research amongst students under the programme.

The exercise, which began following the directive of the Administrator, Chief (Dr.) Dennis Otuaro, makes a continuation of the first phase carried out between April and May 2025, during which over 663 final-year scholarship beneficiaries received laptops.

Dr Otuaro explained that the decision to promoting academic excellence and research productivity. He noted that the gesture also fulfills a promise he made to students during his tour of partner Universities in 2024.

“The laptops are intended to aid the beneficiaries in their studies and research activities” Otuaro state, urging the students to use the devices responsibility and to justify the Federal Governmtent’s modest investment in their education.

He also advised the beneficiaries to remain focus on their academic pursuit and avoid behaviours that could undermine their future prospects.

Reaffirming his administration’s objectives, Dr. Otuaro said the PAP will continue to achieve academic succes, contributing to the socio-economic advancement of the Niger Delta region.

He expressed appreciation to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for his consistent support for the programme, describing it as a demonstration of commitment to bridging the human capital development gaping the region.

Dr. Otuaro further urged the youths and people of the region to reciprocate the President’s gesture by supporting his administration’s policies and programmes.

He reaffirmed the PAP’s dedication to consolidating on its achievements in alignment with the Renewed Hope Agenda of the Tinubu administration.

(c) IduwiniVoice

Continue Reading